Hurricane Harvey: How Can We Help?
As we approach Labor Day-a weekend that symbolizes the achievements of American workers-our company would like to take time to thank the emergency responders, volunteers, and all people relentlessly working around the clock to help the communities affected by Hurricane Harvey. Our thoughts and prayers remain with our Viking Automatic family, friends, and anyone else affected by this tragedy.
Hurricane Harvey is the first hurricane to land as Category 4 in Texas since Carla in 1961. The impact has been devastating and continues to be felt with heavy rains and catastrophic floods across the area. At least 31 deaths related to the storm have been reported and it is unclear how many people still need to be rescued.
Bottom line, Texas needs our help.
It has been inspiring to see the rest of the country come together to assist in any way possible. Thousands of Americans have donated their time and money, but there is still much to be done. The Viking team put together a list of resources with everything related to Hurricane Harvey and how you can help.
- Make sure to follow this NY Times page for the most up-to-date information regarding the storm.
- Huffington Post and NY Times have put together lists of ways to help and organizations to donate to.
- Donating blood is extremely important during times like this. The American Red Cross along with local organizations are accepting blood donations.
- If you have a spare bedroom, consider opening up your home for free to evacuees by becoming a host on Airbnb.
- Rescued pets are being sent to shelters across the country. Contact your local shelter if you are willing and able to adopt a pet.
- If you or someone you know needs to talk to a professional who can help you cope with emotional distress related to the storm, call the Disaster Distress Line at 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746. They are available 24/7 to talk!
- Concerned family and friends can visit this website to search the list of those who have registered themselves as "safe and well."
As the devastation from Hurricane Harvey continues to be felt throughout Texas, we encourage everyone to do what they can to aid and assist people affected by the storm. #TexasStrong
Contact us today for more information about Viking Automatic Sprinkler Company